Why can't I connect to the POP3 server?
Posted by Roy Petersen on Feb-15-2007 12:16 PM
There are several reasons why you may
not be able to connect to the POP3 server, and thus, not be able to check your
POP3 account(s) for new messages. Use the following guideline to solve this sort
- Make sure you first have a connection to the Internet.
Verify this by visiting a website. If you can reach other websites, can you reach the one you're having trouble collecting your mail from?
- Make sure your e-mail client is configured properly
according to the instructions in your welcome email.
- Have you successfully connected to the POP3 server from this
location before or are you trying to connect to the POP3 server
for the first time or from a new location for the first time?
- Verify that you are not behind a firewall! If you are at
work, this might be the case. If you find that you are behind a
firewall, ask your network administrator if port 110 is allowed. If it
is not, this is probably the reason you cannot connect to the POP3 server
- Call your ISP or whoever is providing you the connection to
the Internet and verify that port 110 (POP3) is allowed. If it is being blocked, this is
the likely reason you cannot connect to the POP3 server
- If you host with us, your next step should be to use help desk to ask for assistance. Please go through the above steps before contacting us, however, to help rule out issues beyond our control.
We're here to help, and know that being able to receive mail is of great importance to you, so don't hesitate to contact us if you're having problems. If you're not hosted with us...why not?